A-Wakening was open to the public for four hours, during which we have received some very useful feedback and suggestions for further development of the work. It was a great opportunity to use such a fantastic space, and sincere thanks to all the technical, front of house, and box office staff who made this immersive, environmental installation possible.
Today I have also been making changes to the animation which I am developing for A-Wakening. The grid effect which I was using previously looked exactly how I wanted it to while editing but looked completely different after a test clip had been rendered. This time, I am using the same colour to create a moving particle effect, to create the impression of small dots of light moving around the space. These dots are deliberately out of focus, to give the impression of dust particles or lighting flares, and to move quickly so that they cannot be perceived fully - contributing to the dreamlike quality of the work.
I'm currently working on the animation that will be projected into my forthcoming installation/environment. I'm taking the colours from my previous stages of development and looking at creating more uniform geometric shapes and visually pleasing arrangements of colour.
I have been developing ideas for the visual element of A-Wakening. It is still very much a work in progress, but this has allowed me to consider which colours to use and how they will behave in the final animation.
Today, I identified colours that I felt best suited the audio for my installation. I then developed ideas for shapes and patterns based on the individual pitches and sounds within the piece, and created two sketches of how I perceive the audio to 'look'. These sketches will form the basis of the animation that I create to be played alongside the audio within the installation.
Today, I heard the first sample of the audio work which will form the backdrop for my installation. It's really exciting to hear it at last, and it has set off lots of thoughts in my head about the colours and shapes to use in the projection, the scents to use, and finally, the name of the work!
I also met with the technicians of the theatre where it is going to be installed/performed, to discuss my plans for the main space and the entrance that the audience will use - it sounds like it is all possible, which is fantastic - but I've booked two days in the space so that we can set up and tweak all of the elements before it is opened to the public.
After successfully passing the progression stage of my PhD last month, I have now started work on my second, practical stage. This year, I will be undertaking several experimental phases, leading up to a final, immersive installation/performance, which I will document on this site.
I completed the initial stage of my fieldwork within the first year of my investigation, and continue to investigate other performances of relevance as part of my ongoing contextual review.
I'm very excited to see what this year has in store!
Artist and researcher, exploring audience, artwork and environment, and nearing completion of PhD into immersive practice and multisensory engagement.