I have been developing ideas for the visual element of A-Wakening. It is still very much a work in progress, but this has allowed me to consider which colours to use and how they will behave in the final animation.
Today, I have been looking at ways of creating a projection-style beam of light for my installation. Unfortunately the methods which I had read about in tutorials didn't work, I think this was due to the black walls and the particles which I am using to create the impression that the space is full of fog. I decided to make my own beam of light - which needs a little tweaking, but seems to work quite well. I also made a little projector for the light to come from.
I decided to brighten up my gallery space too - I'm not sure whether it will remain this way, but I thought that it needed a little 'something' other than the plain white walls which I had previously.
I'm hoping to have my build finished in the next couple of weeks so that I can open the space up to the virtual public.
Today I have been spending some time learning to script objects in my installation area to behave a little more like projections, fading out and back in again when an avatar is nearby.
Today, I have been adding some additional landscaping features to the space, and adding some lighting effects. I was hoping to create a watery space where four different coloured lights would mix to make other colours, but I haven't got the positioning of the lights just right yet.
Today, I identified colours that I felt best suited the audio for my installation. I then developed ideas for shapes and patterns based on the individual pitches and sounds within the piece, and created two sketches of how I perceive the audio to 'look'. These sketches will form the basis of the animation that I create to be played alongside the audio within the installation.
Today, I have been looking at creating sound experiences in particular areas, birdsong near trees and the sound of waves crashing near virtual water. I have also been experimenting with a script for creating bubbles. I am looking into how to script a looped rotation for colour and transparency in the objects in my installation, and have imported a 10 second sound clip of audio (as this is all that the environment can support) which I have set to loop continuously within this area.
Today, I heard the first sample of the audio work which will form the backdrop for my installation. It's really exciting to hear it at last, and it has set off lots of thoughts in my head about the colours and shapes to use in the projection, the scents to use, and finally, the name of the work!
I also met with the technicians of the theatre where it is going to be installed/performed, to discuss my plans for the main space and the entrance that the audience will use - it sounds like it is all possible, which is fantastic - but I've booked two days in the space so that we can set up and tweak all of the elements before it is opened to the public.
Today, I am having a break from Second Life to catch up with some admin, and to work on a paper which I am hoping to deliver next week. I took the opportunity to take some photographs of the bubbles suspended in a bottle of hand gel and play with colours and levels.
Today I am hunting for a suitable device/gadget to put on the land I am using, which will track visiting avatars (both whether they teleport to the location or fly in from elsewhere), and send me an email or similar with details of arrival and departure times.
I have also experimented with object textures, modified one of the other artworks, altered the region's environmental settings, and finished setting up my 'base camp' for the next couple of months while I am working in the space.
After a weekend away from the sim, I returned today to test out a couple of ways of tracking visitors - the first being a simple script to count daily visitors to the space, and the second being a product purchased from the Second Life Marketplace to provide more information and an emailed report - so that I can refer to this information later once the sim is no longer there.
I have also taken the opportunity to move a few of the exhibits around, create some lights and shadows, and test a second script for creating a fog/smoke effect - which I may consider using instead of (or together with) the script which I amended last week, and to continue my experiments with particle effects and engaging with the space itself.
Artist and researcher, exploring audience, artwork and environment, and nearing completion of PhD into immersive practice and multisensory engagement.